Grilled Steak Fajitas with Bell Peppers
Fajitas are basically whatever you want on top of grilled meat rolled in a tortilla. I especially associate sauteed peppers with fajitas so I made those too. Mom made up some rice to accompany it all.
1 1/2 lb flank steak
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3-4 Tablespoons olive oil
Sauteed bell peppers (see below)
6-8 flour tortillas
refried beans and rice
Method for the Steak
1. Combine cumin, chili powder, oregano, garlic salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
2. Sprinkle half of the spice mix over the flank steak. Drizzle about half of the olive oil on top and rub it into the meat. You want the spices and oil to evenly coat the meat. Repeat on bottom side of the meat.
3. Let the meat rest about 15 minutes at room temperature. (You could do this early in the day if you want a stronger flavor. Just be sure to put the steak in fridge so it doesn't spoil.)
4. Grill over medium-high heat, approximately 7 minutes per side. I usually poke the meat when it's nearly done to check for how fleshy and springy it is to determine how done it is. If the texture is springy/fleshy like the base of your thumb where it meets your palm, your meat will be rare. If it's like your chin, it's medium. If it's like the back of your hand, it's well done.
5. When cooked to your liking, slice up the flank steak into small strips.
6. Serve on warmed tortillas with toppings of your choice, such as guacamole, sour cream, peppers, onions, cheese, Tapatio sauce, jalapeno slices, cilantro, or lettuce. Roll up to eat.
Ingredients for Sauteed Peppers
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 orange bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1/2 medium size yellow onion, sliced into rings
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon butter
Method for the Peppers
1. Heat olive oil and butter to sizzling in a frying pan. Add the onions and saute until they begin to soften.
2. Add the peppers. Cook over medium heat until they soften to your liking. This should be about 10 minutes.
3. Add the garlic last and cook about 1-2 minutes.
4. Serve with the fajitas above.