Chocolate Oat Bars
I made these bars the other night. I was really in the mood for some chocolate chip blondies, but I was possessed to add oatmeal. I know what happends when you add oatmeal. Your food gets...oaty. And crumbly. And chewy. (That's not a bad thing!)
Also, I added twice as much chocolate as I should have. Justin looked at these, took a bite, and looked at me funny. Too much chocolate for him. He was looking forward to regular blondies.
Ha. Too bad.
Yeah, I know I can over do things sometimes. I AM a chocoholic, after all.
The really funny thing about these bars is that were so much better the next day. The vanilla really melded with the oats and they just tasted better.
BTW, the kids made a huge mess eating theirs. It's a good thing they were just sitting on the kitchen floor.
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 sticks butter (12 Tablespoons), softened
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups oats, old fashioned, not quick
1 12-ounce bag mini chocolate chips
1. Mix together flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
2. Cream butter with both sugars.
3. Add egg and vanilla. Mix well.
4. Add oats to butter mixture.
5. Add flour to oat mixture, in two additions. Mix well. Dough will be stiff.
6. Using a wooden spoon, mix in chocolate chips. Dough will be very stiff.
8. Bake about 25 minutes at 350F or until a toothpick test comes out slightly moist looking, but not goopy. Wet crumbs stuck to the toothpick are OK. Edges should be slightly more golden brown and getting crispy.
9. Let cool. Keep covered. Enjoy with milk.