Chai Latte Bubble Tea
There happens to be a pho noodle restaurant close to my house that serves bubble tea and awesome gigantic filled crepes. Justin doesn't really like to go there, so I decided to make the bubble tea at home for myself. I already have a great crepe recipe, it's just nice to have someone else do all the work cooking them sometimes.
For the tapioca pearls
1/2 cup tapioca pearls
1 quart water
For simple syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
For the Chai tea
equal parts: Tazo chai tea concentrate or cooled chai tea brewed from a tea bag, per serving
equal parts: milk per serving
1. In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the tapioca pearls. Cover and let simmer 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a separate small saucepan, combine water and sugar. Bring to a boil. Let boil about 3 minutes and remove from heat. Let cool and pour into a bottle. This is your simple syrup.
3. Remove tapioca pan from heat and let the tapioca pearls soak about 15 minutes.
4. Rinse the tapioca pearls under warm running water using a mesh colander. Let drain.
5. To make drinks, spoon 3 tablespoons of tapioca pearls into bottom of a glass. Add 2 tablespoons simple syrup. I let them sit about 3-5 minutes so the pearls aren't stuck together.
6. To the glass, add the chai tea and the milk. You will probably want 1/2 to 3/4 cup each. Mix. Serve with a thick straw.
7. Refrigerate leftover tapioca pearls and simple syrup.
Note: I recommend Celestial Seasonings Chai teas if you want to brew tea from a tea bag. I love the Decaf Sweet Coconut Thai Chai and the Honey Vanilla Chai. Also if you want a shortcut on the simple syrup, just skip step 2 and use a bottled vanilla syrup, like Da Vinci or Torani.