Yes, yet another yummy recipe from my mom. It's another one of those recipes that I have no idea where she found it, but it's worth keeping.
½ c. butter, softened
½ c. shortening
2 c. packed brown sugar
¼ c. water
1 tsp. vanilla
4 c. all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
1 ½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 c. flaked coconut
1. Using a stand mixer, cream butter, shortening, brown sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl.
3. Add eggs, vanilla, and water to mixer. Mix well.
4. Add dry ingredients to mixer. Mix well.
5. Add coconut and mix to incorporate.
6. *Cover mixing bowl with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2-4 hours.
7. *Shape into balls.
8. Place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets. Flatten into rectangles and press the tines of a floured fork on top for texture.
9. Bake 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees F, or until lightly browned.
10. Cool on the sheet 2 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
11. Make about 9 dozen cookies.
*Alternatively, lay out a long strip of plastic wrap and form cookie dough into a log. Wrap it up tightly so it looks like a Tootsie roll. Refrigerate 2-4 hours, then slice off dough about ¾ inch.