Honey Almond Madeleines
I found the recipe! It was saved on the big EHD at home so I didn't have to retype everything that was already typed. Thanks goodness. I also found my crepe recipe so that will be coming soon too.
I realized that since this contains almonds, even though it's not "health food" it is somewhat healthy. According to SuperFoods Rx by Steven Pratt, nuts and seeds are very good for your health. In any dose, they benefit cardiovascular health. And that is one of my concerns. Heart problems run in my family so any help is help.
Some notes on preparation: I use my Kitchen-aid stand mixer to beat the egg whites. A hand-held mixer will do the job just fine, but with two little ones, I need my hands free most of the time to hold them.
3 large egg whites
1 c. sifted confectioner’s sugar
½ c. all purpose flour
1/3 cup finely ground, blanched almonds (no skins)
6 T. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 T. honey
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Butter 2 Madeleine tins.
2. In a bowl with an electric mixer, beat egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Gradually add sugar and beat until the whites hold stiff peaks.
3. Meanwhile, using a very clean coffee grinder, grind up the blanched almonds. Don't over grind or they become almond butter. Some texture is good.
4. Alternate folding flour and almonds into the egg mixture, in 2 or 3 additions.
5. In a small bowl combine the honey and butter. Gently fold honey mixture into the whites until incorporated.
6. Spoon into tins so they are about 2/3 full. Bake 8-10 minutes or golden at edges. Let cool in pan 5 minutes then invert onto a rack to cool.